Pages

Friday, November 7, 2008

Work vs Sleepiness

Today I watched The new High School Musical movie with my wife. Everything was great. We had dinner, just the two of us. Bought some clothes, did things we haven't done for almost a year because I was busy with work and she was busy with the baby. It was a perfect date except for one thing.. I had work during the evening. I am now at work with absolutely no sleep. This was also something i haven't tried since college. Hehe.. Brings back memories, but this is different. I can't be absent today because it's my off tommorow, and it's my pay day today. Absence would merit a Final written warning for both reasons mentioned. So, how does one pull a stunt like going to work with no sleep at all to with a job that requires your 110% everyday. Here are some things you could try if your ever in this type of silly predicament.
How to fight sleep at work.

1. Wash your face and drink cool water. It's revitalizing. Also it's the most natural thing you can do with minimal side effects. SIDE EFFECT: If you believe in "Pasma" this might not be the best option for you.

2. Drink STARBUCKS coffee. My wife tried this once and she was up the whole night. I'm not much of a coffee drinker but I thought i'd do this trick today. Now I have this weird sensation that i'm both Sleepy yet Wide awake. I'm not sure how to explain this sensation. SIDE EFFECT: It disrupts your sleep pattern in the long run. Possible causes of Insomnia.

3. Pinch yourself when you find yourself dozing off. Physical pain can send impulses to your brain and the rest of our body causing a sensation that wakes you up from half-asleep status. SIDE EFFECT: Nasty looking marks on the skin that might take some time to wear off.

4. Power naps. 15-20 minute naps during your break has a boosting effect to your body.. err.. sometimes. Personally this works the opposite way for me. I get sleepier when i take power naps, but most people i talked to in my line of work claim it's effectivity. Probably worth a shot. SIDE EFFECT: Kakabitin!

5. Mental Arithmetic. I learned this from the sitcom, FRIENDS. Try running complicated math problems just in your head without fingers or calculators. Like, 200 devided by 3... Or the square root of 5. Worked for me. SIDE EFFECT: if your the type that hates math and slept through math assignments like I did in highschool, this tip might make you want to go to sleep even more.

6. Avoid this incident in the future at all cost. Very recently my best friend passed away. He was a working College Student who always took overtimes at work and pulled all-nighters for academic deadlines. The doctor said this Liver failed because of his lack of sleep and he got a heart attack at the early age of 24.

This is the last time i will try to attempt a stunt like this. My health is more important than a Really cool awesome movie like High School Musical. Sleep is not just a luxury, it's a neccesity. So the next time you pull an all-nighter, ask yourself. "Is the juice worth the squeeze?"

No comments:

Bloggers.com

Bloggers.com - Meet Millions Bloggers

XPS RESOURCE