Pages

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Learning Dreamweaver

Since I've decided to make make my living only before this year ends, I've finally got myself to playing with Dreamweaver. It's one of those What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get site building tools or WYSIWYG for short. A lot of bloggers and site developers warn about using WYSIWYG software. Lots of negative comments about it but I didn't really get to figure out which. But since I'm just a beginner in all this, I decided to try it out. After running through the tutorials from TheNewBoston, I realized how complicated and how handy Dreamweaver can become once you get used to it.

Dreamweaver vs Google Sites
I've actually tried these two things this week. Setting up and account with Google sites, and using Dreamweaver. Now what I like about Google Sites is that google provide hosting and a domain name for free. But the webpage editor is purely WYSIWYG. You'll have to work on templates and formats provided already be google. Although there is an incredibly wide range of combinations you can choose from, I'm still looking for the code editor. It's either non-existent or just very hard to find in Google Sites.
Dreamweaver gives you more flexibility and a wider range of tools. You can choose to have the code editor side-by-side with what the site will actually look like. And with a simple F12 you can see exactly what the site will look like in a web browser. This software requires you to have a hosting and a domain though before you can start publishing your stuff in the web.

Blogs vs Websites
There's a difference between blogs and websites. I feel so stupid for not knowing that to begin with. Websites are more static and does not require as frequent updates of content as a blog does. A blog is more NEWS-like. With the latest content always appearing at the top. There are sites though that have a separate page for blogs though. But websites, for me, are more flexible than Blogs.

I'm not sure how long it takes to master this site developer thing, but I'm sure to post my first website here and how I made it.

How did you make your first website?

No comments:

Bloggers.com

Bloggers.com - Meet Millions Bloggers

XPS RESOURCE